The Kumakura Family (熊, Kuma), sometimes referred to as the Kumakura gang (熊倉組, Kumakura-gumi, lit. Kumakura Group), is a crime organization featured in AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES.
The Kumakura Family is a yakuza mob syndicate, a branch family to the Ujisaki Family. They were founded as a branch family early in the 21st century, when the Ujisaki chairman took a liking to Rohan Kumakura and instated him as the head of this family. With Rohan as chairman, the Kumakura family became a fierce and ruthless gang, and founded real estate companies, collectively referred to as the Kumakura Estates.
In 2013, Rohan was arrested for the break-in and attempted murder of Hitomi Sagan and declared clinically insane by the court of law, instating him in a mental hospital. Rohan's younger brother, Moma Kumakura, became the new chairman of the Kumakura gang. With the change in chairman, the Kumakuras began to deviate from its ruthless history as they reformed into a more peaceful organization.
- "If you accidentally enter a bar instead of a restaurant, don't feel obligated to order a drink. Even if the bartender gives you that 'order a damn drink' look."
- "After 40, your toenails grow slower."
- "Restaurants will take forever to fulfill your bottomless drink orders. So order them all up front."
- "Always reply after reading."
- "While opening your jacket sitting on a public train... make sure that it doesn't accidentally touch the person next to you."
- Renju Okiura (debt collector/business partner, 2000-2019)
- Shoko Nadami (business partner, until 2019)
- Falco (assassin, early 2010s-2013)
- Saito Sejima (affiliate)
Creation of the Kumakuras
The Kumakura family held various events during October of 2019, which they listed on their calendar at the office. On October 21st, the Kumakuras attended "Ikakin's Beatboxing For Beginners" classes. On October 22nd, they visited the zoo to see the pandas. On October 23rd, they took a Sommelier Exam at a hot springs resort. And on October 24th, they attended (or performed) a Magic Show within a Nursing Home.
At the very end of the month, the Kumakura Family was invited to the Ujisaki Family Yearly Golf Tournament, held every year at a hotel outside of the Central Tokyo area. By the time it was November 1st and November 2nd, the Golf Tournament came to a close and the Kumakura Family headed home.
A: Cyclops Serial Killings
B: Murder of Shoko Nadami
On January 3rd, the Kumakura Family attend an "A-set Live Solo Performance."
- The Kumakura Family is most likely based off the Sumiyoshi Association (住吉会, Sumiyoshi-kai), the second-largest Yakuza group in Japan, based primarily in Tokyo, mostly within the districts in the center of Tokyo. The Kumakura Family crest bears various similarities to the Sumiyoshi crest.
- Day 3: Sunday –syokubAI–
- Day 3: Sunday –gyoukAI–
- Day 4: Monday –syuurAI–
- Day 5: Tuesday –dakkAI–
- Three Months Later –kassAI–
- In 1999, the Kumakura Family had not been created as part of the Ujisaki Family, with Rohan and Moma serving as new members. However, by October 2001, the Kumakura family had become the strong and powerful branch family that it is known for up to 2013, with Rohan as its leader. It's more than likely that the Kumakura Family was founded in 2000, with Renju Okiura becoming associated with them by this point.
- Chinpei Wagai is 24 years old in November 2019. He is visibly seen with Rohan Kumakura, Dokuta Yogano, and Falco in a flashback with no determinant year, but certainly before May 2013, as it is set before Falco met Hitomi Sagan. Chinpei was 17 years old by May 2013, and while it can be believed that he was inducted into the Kumakura Family at a younger age, it's safer to assume it occurred in his late teens. This places Chinpei and Falco's induction into the Kumakuras in the early 2010s.
- Sumiyoshi-kai on Wikipedia